Feedback | Sunday, June 16, 2024

India announces USD 1 million relief aid for landslide-hit Papua New Guinea

India on Tuesday announced an immediate relief assistance totaling USD 1 million for Papua New Guinea, where over 2000 people are feared to have been buried by a massive landslide.

“As a close friend and partner under the Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC) and as a gesture of solidarity with the friendly people of Papua New Guinea, the Government of India extends an immediate relief assistance of USD 1 million to support relief, rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts,” the Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement.

Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the loss of lives and the damage caused by the deadly landslide, affirming India’s readiness to extend all possible support and assistance to the Pacific island country.

India has provided assistance to Papua New Guinea during times of crisis, including in the wake of an earthquake in 2018 and volcanic eruptions in 2019 and 2023.

Disaster risk reduction and management form a crucial aspect of India’s Indo-Pacific Oceans Initiative (IPOI), as announced by Prime Minister Modi in November 2019.

“India is committed to Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) and continues to be a responsible and steadfast responder,” the MEA statement said.

On Tuesday, the PNG government ordered thousands of residents to evacuate from the path of the still-active landslide. Yambali village bore the brunt of the disaster, with over 150 houses buried under debris, according to officials. The area continues to pose an “extreme risk,” as falling rocks and exposed ground soil present ongoing hazards.

(With ANI input)

Copyright © 2024 DD News. All rights reserved
Visitors: 3648082
Last Updated: 16th Jun 2024