Feedback | Friday, April 04, 2025

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Instagram

No violence in Manipur in the last four months: Amit Shah

The Lok Sabha passed the statutory resolution moved by Union Home Minister Amit Shah for the approval of the imposition of President’s Rule in Manipur on Thursday. The House also expressed its respect, sympathy, and deep sorrow for those who lost their lives in the violence in Manipur.

Shah further said that there has been no violence in Manipur for nearly four months, from December to March, and provisions for food, medicines, and medical facilities have been ensured in the camps.

Introducing the resolution, Union Home Minister Shah said that ethnic violence between two communities in Manipur had started due to a decision by the Manipur High Court regarding a reservation-related dispute. He clarified that these are neither riots nor terrorism, but ethnic clashes between two communities stemming from the interpretation of the High Court’s decision, according to a statement from the Ministry of Home Affairs.

He mentioned that online arrangements for technical and medical education had been made, and for primary education, classes had been set up inside the camps with provisions for their studies.

Shah emphasized that there should be no violence and that ethnic violence should not be linked to any political party. He noted that the opposition tried to portray the violence as something that occurred during the current government’s tenure. He informed the House that between 1993 and 1998, there was a Naga-Kuki conflict in Manipur that lasted for five years, resulting in 750 deaths, and sporadic incidents continued for a decade.

He highlighted that while the government believes such incidents should never happen under its rule, an unfortunate decision led to the violence, which was promptly brought under control. Shah revealed that of the 260 deaths in the violence, 80 percent occurred in the first month, while the remaining deaths occurred in the following months.

The home minister also pointed out that in the 1997-98 Kuki-Paite conflict, more than 50 villages were destroyed, 40,000 people were displaced, 352 people were killed, hundreds were injured, and 5,000 homes were burned. Additionally, during the six-month-long Meitei-Pangal conflict in 1993, over 100 people were killed.

Shah said that the opposition is trying to present this as the first instance of violence in Manipur and implying that the current government has failed. He mentioned that three major incidents of violence—spanning 10 years, 3 years, and 6 months—had occurred during the rule of the previous government. He added that after these incidents, no official from the then government, including the Home Minister, visited the region.

The home minister noted that the BJP came to power in 2017, and in the previous five years, Manipur was shut down for an average of 212 days per year, despite the fact that no ethnic violence occurred during that time. He also mentioned that there were over 1,000 encounters, which had to be taken cognizance of by the Supreme Court. He said that before the High Court order, there was not a single day of shutdown or blockade in Manipur, and no violence occurred during the six years of BJP rule since 2017. He explained that in a specific situation, when both communities interpreted a High Court decision as being against them, violence erupted within just two days.

Regarding the accusations from the opposition about the government’s neglect of the violence in Manipur, Shah informed the House that on the very day the High Court’s order was issued, security forces’ companies were dispatched to the region via Air Force planes.

He emphasized that everyone shares the same concern about this matter. The Home Minister appealed to all members not to politicize the issue, as the government is making every possible effort to restore peace in Manipur. Shah added that for every life lost in this violence, the House should hold respect, empathy, and sorrow in its heart.

Shah said that after the imposition of President’s Rule in Manipur, discussions were held with both communities, and separate meetings with all organizations from both communities have taken place. He mentioned that the Ministry of Home Affairs will soon convene a joint meeting and emphasized that while the government is working to find a path to end the violence, the top priority is to establish peace.

Shah added that the situation would not be considered satisfactory until displaced people are no longer living in camps.

-ANI

Visitors: 22228816
Last Updated: 4th Apr 2025