The Ministry of Defence (MoD) spokesperson said on Wednesday that the Pakistan Army intruded into Indian territory and violated the ceasefire by opening fire along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district.
“The violation took place at 1:10 p.m. on Tuesday, and the Indian troops responded with controlled and calibrated retaliation,” the spokesperson said.
The defence spokesperson did not mention any casualties on the Pakistani side due to the Indian retaliation. However, official sources said five enemy soldiers were injured in the explosion and the subsequent exchange of fire between the two sides.
Lt. Colonel Suneel Bartwal, MoD spokesperson, said in a statement: “On April 1, 2025, a mine blast occurred in the Krishna Ghati sector due to a Pakistan Army intrusion across the LoC. This was followed by unprovoked firing and a ceasefire violation by the Pakistan Army. Our troops responded effectively in a controlled and calibrated manner. The situation is under control and is being closely monitored.”
“The Indian Army reiterates the importance of upholding the tenets of the Director Generals Military Operations (DGsMO) understanding of 2021 to maintain peace along the LoC,” he added.
Since the signing of the ceasefire agreement on February 25, 2021, between the two sides, ceasefire violations have been rare, and local issues have usually been resolved through flag meetings at the brigade commander’s level.
The Indian Army and security forces have been maintaining heightened vigilance along the border and the LoC due to the presence of foreign mercenaries in the border districts of Poonch, Rajouri, and Kathua, as well as in some areas of the Jammu division hinterland.
Currently, an extended ‘seek and destroy’ operation has been underway since March 23, when five Pakistani terrorists were spotted in the Kathua district, 4 km inside the International Border.
So far, two of the five terrorists have been gunned down by security forces, while efforts are ongoing to trace and eliminate the remaining three.
Four local policemen were killed in the initial gunfight between the police and the hiding terrorists.
(Inputs from IANS)