2 hours ago

Print

Thousands evacuate after Indonesia quake kills 53, aftershocks hamper rescue efforts

Around 5,000 people have been evacuated after a magnitude-7.7 earthquake rocked eastern Indonesia, killing at least 53, blocking roads and causing landslides, authorities said on Sunday.

They added that more than 130 people had been injured, many with broken bones.

Saturday’s quake was the Southeast Asian nation’s deadliest since a 2022 quake killed hundreds in West Java.

More than 3,300 people in Indonesia‘s Sikka region – one of the hardest hit – self-evacuated or were in a sports arena, according to the country’s national disaster mitigation agency, known as BNPB.

Some residents were stranded outside collapsed homes under makeshift tents made out of tarpaulin, while others received treatment in a tent outside the local hospital.

A sprawling archipelago of 290 million people, Indonesia straddles the “Pacific Ring of Fire”, a seismically active zone where tectonic plates meet, triggering frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

FEAR OF AFTERSHOCKS

At a now-closed port in Maumere, littered with debris from a collapsed roof and walls, residents told Reuters they were scared of aftershocks.

The disaster agency said on Sunday nearly a thousand aftershocks had been recorded since the quake.

Nearby, hundreds of residents filled a sports stadium, which has been designated as an evacuation spot.

As the sun was setting, residents stood in line to get warm drinks. Some mothers hooked pieces of clothing to tent frames to form makeshift cradles for their babies. Other children played soccer outside.

One of these mothers was Lisda, 22, who chose to be in a tent with her twin babies due to the fear of sleeping inside her home.

Inside another tent, Yuvienta Saen, 67, recounted her misfortunes. As she felt the quake during her morning prayer, she had to choose between her paralysed husband and herself.

“He told me, you run, I’m handing my fate to God,” she said, adding there was a lack of clean water and blankets in the tent.

The area of the quake was hit in 1992 by a magnitude-7.5 earthquake that caused extensive destruction, Indonesia‘s geophysics agency said.

Margaretha Movaldes Da Maga Bapa, head of the region’s disaster mitigation agency, said the quake had brought back memories.

“We’ve had quakes often. But this one really brings back the trauma of the one from 1992,” she saidreferencing the trucks bringing aid and tents.

Suryaman, a rescue agency official, told Reuters the priority was clearing rubble in the most-affected areas of Manggarai, East Manggarai and Nagekeo to find people possibly still trapped under rubble.

Suryaman said the agency had not received missing person reports but added that landslides and aftershocks were impeding the search.

More than 3,500 military and police officers have been deployed to the region, Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya said in a statement.

Power supply was nearly fully restored, but authorities were still working on fixing distribution lines, state utility firm Perusahaan Listrik Negara said Sunday.

The East Nusa Tenggara government has declared an emergency for the province, BNPB said, a move that allows authorities to mobilise resources and funding.

RELATED ARTICLES

1 hour ago | Delhi-NCR

Delhi-NCR likely to receive heavy rain, thunderstorms on Monday

Delhi-NCR is likely to witness heavy rainfall and thunderstorms on Monday, with the India Meteorological Department (IMD) forecasting gusty winds and a maximum temperature of around 34 degrees Celsius. The national capital is expected to record a mi...

2 hours ago | Hawaii

More than 180,000 without power in Hawaii, 100 homes damaged as Lala weakens to tropical storm

More than 180,000 utility customers remained without power across Hawaii on Sunday afternoon after Hurricane Lala brushed the Big Island before being downgraded to a tropical storm. Some 183,123 customers across Hawaii were without power as of 3:30 ...

16/08/26 | 10:45 am | Bhupender Yadav

India to host BRICS Environment Ministers’ Meeting in Delhi on Tuesday

India is set to host the 12th BRICS Environment Ministers’ Meeting in New Delhi on August 18, with the BRICS Senior Officers’ Meeting of the Environment Working Group and Contact Group on Climate Change and Sustainable Development scheduled a day...